Sorts of hosting services
A hosting service concerns depositing and/or sharing particular content on a hosting server handled by a web hosting provider. There are various types of hosting services used for various ends, so let's study these. In that way, you can decide what you need, on the basis of whether you desire to launch a website, mailbox accounts, or to share files with pals and partners.
- File hosting: a service offered by particular companies, which allows you to share huge files. These could be disk images, movies, audio files, archives, and so on. This solution is also known as file storage, and its single designation is to share files, since it does not offer site uploading. The moment the files are uploaded, you will either receive an accidentally generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to see an index of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to see .html or .php website files in your web browser. Free-of-charge file hosting plans are often supported by showing advertisements by the download links, while a timer compels you to await a particular interval of time to view them. A single file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you possess a paid file storage package, there are no restrictions as to how many files you can upload/download at once, and also there is no limitation in regard to the download speed or the file size.
At present, with the help of the cPanel hosting wholesalers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more faddish "cloud hosting". This is a thoroughly distorted explanation of the real connotation of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting system would apportion the tasks at hand between separate bunches of web hosting servers in a cluster, which are devoted to serving different web page hosting services (mail, disk storage, stats, DNS, databases, web space hosting Control Panel, and so on.) So, the file hosting solution is only a type of a disk space hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: close to file hosting; certain firms provide a hosting solution for images exclusively. This hosting type is good if you want to share a great amount of pictures with friends or partners since the solution is typically free of charge. You will get a random link for each picture or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file hosting solution, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the solution cannot be used for web pages.
- Email hosting: a service dedicated to tackling your e-mails. Some companies offer site hosting solutions for sites, but do not supply an e-mail service. If you wish to own an email address with your domain name but do not desire to have a web site, then the email hosting solution is what you need. You can set up email accounts and administer them, but there will be no hosting solution for the domains. The email hosting service includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP email servers.
- Video hosting: this solution allows you to upload and share video clips. You can either share a link to a specific video, or you can embed the video in your site that is hosted elsewhere. The benefit of availing of this approach in lieu of uploading the video in a web hosting account is that the video file produces a certain amount of CPU load, so with several video clips and a few hundred website viewers, you may have a hard time with your website hosting resources. Embedding the video clip will allow you to possess as many video clips as you wish without bothering about system quotas.
- Web site hosting: this is the service that you require if you wish to keep a website. To a certain extent, it consists of all of the aforesaid hosting sorts since, along with your websites, you can also host images and files, you can run databases and e-mails, upload video files, etc. At NETHOST23, for instance, you can take a glimpse at web hosting and dedicated web server hosting packages that permit you to have all of the aforementioned services in a single location. There may be limits depending on the sort of hosting solution that you've selected - a free hosting plan, a paid shared hosting account, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your hosting package may be better or worse compared with the typical e-mail/file/video/image hosting accounts that are meant for particular web content only.